Good Morning from Scotland
Bullough Mausoleum Sunrise
A remarkable memorial taking the form of a Greek temple located at Harris on the remote west coast of the island of Rum in the Inner Hebrides, the Bullough Mausoleum was built by English industrialist Sir George Bullough , the laird who also built Kinloch Castle, as the last resting place for his father John Bullough. This substantial open rectangular structure was constructed c.1900 in polished sandstone, with a local slate roof, and contains three large sarcophagi, the middle of sandstone and the two flanking of pink granite. Sir George was also interred here, together with his wife Lady Monica who died in 1967 at the great age of 98. This was the second mausoleum on the site. The first, in the Roman style with fine tile-work, was destroyed shortly after completion when Bullough heard it unkindly described by one of his guests as looking like a public lavatory. Its remains can be seen to the northwest. In 2006, the monument was subject to major repairs, coordinated by Scottish Natural Heritage, who own the island with the exception of the mausoleum itself, which remains the property of the Bullough Trustees.
Short URL for this post: http://tmblr.co/Z5jk9xoDiIun