Cleitean, St Kilda
The St. Kilda archipelago lies 180 km off the North-Western coast of Scotland and 64 km West of the Outer Hebrides. It is comprised of four volcanic islands: Hirta, Dun, Soay and Boreray. The largest - Hirta - is renowned for its myriad small dry stone buildings - called cleitean (plural of cleit) in Scottish Gaelic and cleits in English - that were used as all-purpose storage hutsmainly used for storage of seabirds and crops. until 1930 when the last remaining islanders left for the mainland. There are more than 1000 of these on St Kilda. Today, the island is a national nature reserve and is included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site List. It is managed by the National Trust for Scotland and is more or less an open air museum dedicated to the enlightenment of tourists.
There are a number of pictures old and new of St Kilda Here http://www.myspace.com/margretstewart/photos/albums/hiort/941005