A little known fact about his building is it also known as St Columba’s Free Church. It is located on The Mound, perched high above Princes Street Gardens and Princes Street. It was designed with towers and turrets in Tudor style by William Playfair, for the Free Church of Scotland as a college and offices in the middle of the 19th century. The Assembly Hall itself was designed by David Bryce and built in 1858-9. However, after the reunion of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, it was used each year for the Church of Scotland’s General Assembly and as the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh.